Wednesday 8 February 2017

Problem #1: Goal Setting

PROBLEM #1: GOAL SETTING

February 8, 2017
Us girls have been trying to lose weight and get healthy for years and years and years. We’ve tried Atkins, we’ve gone to the gym, we’ve drank enough Skinnytea to hydrate a whole country and yet our weight and our health goes up and down and up and down and up and …………….

Every week for the next 12 weeks I’ll be going over common problems we make and then I'll show you how you can fix them in really simple terms. 

It’s totally free and I’ll post them right here and on Facebook for you to read, implement and reap the rewards!

PROBLEM #1 NO GOAL

If you don’t have a goal, you will fail. You can’t just say “I want to lose weight” and leave it at that, you need to be specific, so you would say “I want to lose 10kg by March 2017” – you have a way to measure it and you have a time frame.

Once you’ve set your goal you need to have a clear way of getting there, anyone can say that want to do something and then do nothing.
“I am going to start to exercise” or “I’m going to join a gym” – okay, but what type? How often? Where? This is where most people fail, they set themselves a goal but have no idea how to get there or aren’t willing to make sacrifices.

You need to know where you are going to train, what type of training you are going to do, how regularly you are going to train, etc.
You would sit down and clearly map it out:
“I am going to train with my personal trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am going to go for a walk around my street for 30 minutes every Wednesday and Saturday I am going to weigh myself every Monday morning.”

Goals also need to be realistic, another area where most people become unstuck. “I’m going to train 7 days a week in the gym and go for a walk every morning”, “I’m not going to eat carbs for a whole month”, “I’m doing a detox for the next 7 days” – good luck with that one, you’ll last about 3 days max.

Pick a goal that is challenging, yet realistic. If you’re a single mum with 3 kids that works 9-5 in the city, then training twice a day 7 days a week probably isn't going to last long. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but for your average person this is not a reality.

You would start with something you can achieve, suchas training in the gym 3 days per week, drinking 3L of water per day, going to bed at a set time, etc. If it’s achievable you will achieve it, if it’s not achievable then chances are you won’t achieve it, you’ll fail and feel shit and then you go through this cycle a few times each year.

Sit down and make sure you have a clear goal and a clear path to get there. Don’t set yourself up to fail before you’ve even started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment