Saturday 16 September 2017

Optimal Levels of Vitamin C Can Help Insulin Sensitivity and Lower Inflammation


Optimal Levels of Vitamin C Can Help Insulin Sensitivity and Lower Inflammation

Vitamin C is a nutrient that is commonly used by many people but the far reaching benefits aren't fully understood. Most take it to reduce the chances of getting the flu and that is all they really think of it as. Also when taking vitamin C, generally the dosages used are far too small for most individuals to see any noticeable improvements in their health.

Personally, I take 10 g per day on average. Now this does change throughout the year. I may take more or less depending on what I am doing with my training and how much work I have on. When training twice a day or when I have a lot of work on I will take a minimum of 10 g per day. This helps support my immune system and I feel it helps control my cortisol levels as well.

When I do take large doses of vitamin C I tend to get leaner. Now that could be from a few different mechanisms. I think it comes from controlling cortisol levels, lowering inflammation and oxidative stress, and also improving insulin sensitivity. Whatever it is I believe there are many benefits to having optimal levels of vitamin C. 


"Individuals with chronic conditions typically have increased nutrient demands than those of healthy people. These are considered conditionally essential nutrients. There is either a disruption in metabolic processes, underlying inflammation, oxidative stress, or an inability to meet the metabolic demands with the current nutrient reserves.

In a study published five days ago in Nutrients, researchers demonstrated that patients who are prediabetic, have type II diabetes, or smoke have lower plasma vitamin C levels.

This makes sense since insulin resistance is associated with chronic low grade inflammation; thus, there will be increased vitamin C requirements to mitigate oxidative stress. There are other factors that may contribute to this as well, such as vitamin C excretion in those with microalbuminuria or competition for glucose and vitamin C into the cells.

....The level of nutrient intake that maintains the best possible health is highly variable from person to person. Lifestyle choices and environmental exposures filtered through genetic predisposition are fundamental factors in the expression of disease and a successful treatment approach must include investigation into these factors."

No comments:

Post a Comment