Monday 19 February 2018

New Review Demonstrates a Role for BCAA in Traumatic Brain Injury

New review demonstrates a role for branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) in traumatic brain injury

Having suffered around 30 concussions in my life, anything that can help restore brain function grabs my attention. Back in 2009 my short term memory was shot and my retention of information was horrible. I was very irritable and massive mood swings. I was in a pretty bad way but didn't really notice until a few years later when I began to see improvements in my retention levels and also being able to focus properly for longer periods of time.

In this time I was studying up on training and nutrition trying to become a better rugby league player and came across many different nutrition and supplementation protocols to help with traumatic brain injuries. I was already taking fish oil in fairly high dosages as recommended by Charles Poliquin, zinc, magnesium, and a few other nutrients, and then I added in some GPC, more carnitine, inositol, and phosphatidylcholine.

Again from reading Charles' work and doing his courses and seminars I was taking 40g of BCAAs during my workouts. I was taking this for maintenance of lean muscle mass and to help with recovery at the time but now a study has demonstrated a role for BCAAs in traumatic brain injury. This may have helped my brain recover as well which was a benefit I definitely wasn't aware of until now. You can read this review from By Michael Jurgelewicz, DC, DACBN, DCBCN, CNS.


No comments:

Post a Comment